MMS • RSS
Adaptiveness is considered to be necessary, and the only way to actually get results, for leadership in any domain today, according to Brent Gleeson in a post on Inc. Remaining agile in your thinking and leadership behaviour is crucial to leadership success, according to the Forbes Coaches Council.
Leadership is not a matter of positional power – leadership can and should be evident at every level in the organisation and in every role. Ashira Prossack wrote about the characteristics of effective leaders:
- Be a master communicator, particularly be a good listener and master all aspects of written and verbal communication
- Be an expert in your chosen field, and be generous about sharing your knowledge
- Be curious and constantly open to learning new things, challenge the status quo and ask powerful questions
- Be a teacher, not a boss; contribute and share your knowledge and ideas
- Ask for help when you need it – have the humility to recognise that you are part of a team and that together you can solve harder problems and achieve more than alone
- Don’t be afraid of failure; acknowledging failure and making mistakes is how we learn and grow
The Business Agility Institute knowledge base talks about Leadership Agility as something that pervades an organisation and empowers people to be and do their best:
Don’t forget that it is agile leaders (who may not be managers) who orchestrate and guide the organisation towards business agility. Leaders who help align the organisation to a single purpose, enabling individuals and teams and taking corrective action where needed.
The most successful leaders adapt easily to changing environments and use the right approach for the right situation. Poor leaders do the opposite and fail to make appropriate adjustments in dynamic situations, resulting in disarray and confusion. Clearly articulating the mission intent and allowing the team to execute is critical. Though they must be well-equipped and properly motivated to navigate significant change.
The Forbes Coaching Council provides their advice in the form of 15 Ways to Remain an Agile Leader, covering a wide range of aspects from cultivating your emotional intelligence to learning faster, being courageous and adopting an experimentation mindset.
We seem to be shifting from an approach based around problem solving and planning aimed at reducing uncertainty, to a world where progress is made by actively engaging with uncertainty, requiring higher levels of leadership agility.
MMS • RSS
Featured Database Articles
Posted June 11, 2018
By Rob Gravelle
Back in 2015, I presented a slideshow of the Top 10 MySQL Reporting Tools. Since then, many readers shared their own favorite reporting tools for MySQL. Moreover, the reporting landscape has changed in the past three years. These two developments have informed me that this might just be the right time to revisit this topic. So now, for your viewing pleasure, here are another 8 of the Top Reporting Tools for MySQL.