MMS • mms2017
A few months ago, I got a call for a Mongodb project that involved Personalization. First thing I asked was “what is Personalization? I accepted the project and found out a whole new area of technology that is quickly becoming interwoven into our daily lives. The best way to explain Personalization is by Use Case. For example, Amazon recommends items that we might be interested in purchasing based on our demographic, behavioral, browsing and purchasing habits, Facebook sends ads our way based on our past likes and posts. Netflix recommends movies based on our past viewing habits. All of this was difficult if not impossible with older rigid relational database technologies. With the rise of open source unstructured database technology, Personalization has come into the mainstream.
So your CIO may be asking “Why can’t I do this with my existing Relational databases?” Existing relational databases support transactions which means overhead in ensuring that each transaction is correct. You wouldn’t want your bank to double deduct a ATM transaction or check incorrectly. In addition, rigid table structures make it difficult if not impossible to manage diverse data sources and complex data models easily and fast. In addition, once data grows exponentially, it is impossible to scale horizontally to gain adequate performance making the data usable. Non structured Open Source databases such as Mongodb can handle complex non structured and various structured data from different data sources easily and can scale horizontally to meet Service level agreements for query response times.
Sitecore (www.Sitecore.com) web site content management software is the latest vendor requiring the use of Mongodb for it’s Personalization functionality and high availability and scalability for global high traffic commercial websites. Expect many other vendors to make similar announcements and for Personalization to grow as Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning technology expands into the real world.
MMS • RSS
Join the largest community of machine learning (ML), deep learning, AI, data science, business analytics, BI, operations research, mathematical and statistical professionals: Sign up here. If instead, you are only interested in receiving our newsletter, you can subscribe here. There is no cost.
The full membership includes, in addition to the newsletter subscription:
- Access to member-only pages, our free data science eBooks (for instance, this one), data sets, code snippets, and solutions to data science / machine learning / mathematical challenges.
- Support to all your questions regarding our community.
- Data sets, projects, cheat sheets, tutorials, programming tips, summarized information easy to digest, DSC webinars, data science events (conferences, workshops), new books, and news.
- Ability to post blogs and forum questions, as well as comments, and get answers from experts in their field.
You can easily unsubscribe at any time. Our weekly digest features selected discussions, articles written by experts, forum questions and announcements aimed at machine learning, AI, IoT, analytics, data science, BI, operations research and big data practitioners.
It covers topics such as deep learning, AI, blockchain, visualization, automated machine learning, Hadoop, data integration and engineering, statistical science, computational statistics, analytics, pure data science, data security, and even computer-intensive methods in number theory. It includes
- Exclusive content for subscribers only: our upcoming book on automated data science (coming soon), detailed research reports about the data science community (for instance, best cities for data scientists, with growth trends), API’s (top Twitter accounts, various forecasting apps) and more
- New book and new journal announcements
- Salary surveys – how much a Facebook data scientist makes
- Workshops, webinars and conference announcements
- Programs and certifications for data scientists
- Case studies, success stories, benchmarks
- New analytic companies/products announcements
- Sample source code, questions about coding and algorithms
Click here to sign up and start receiving our newsletter. We respect your privacy: member information (email address etc.) is kept confidential and never shared.